Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Grilled Maple Barbecue Chicken

This was a recipe I found at another blog that I really enjoy, The Local Cook.  She's a lot more adventurous in her cooking than I am, so I've only tried a few of her recipes.  This recipe for Grilled Maple Barbecue Chicken appealed to me for several reasons - I could cut it into chicken strip shapes to appease Toddler, I had all the recipe ingredients on hand, and it sounded ridiculously easy.

The recipe has instructions for baking, grilling and pan-frying, and I did a bit of a hybrid between grilling and pan-frying.  I have a Calphalon grill pan that I love, and I used that, which created those beautiful grill marks.  I also did a lot of basting, just as I would have if I had tried to grill outside (which I've never done, my husband does the grilling in our family).  I thought about having my husband grill this outside, but our grilling experiences are really hit or miss.  This could be because I rarely let my husband grill, so he doesn't get much practice...  Anyway, this is quite possibly one of my new favorite chicken recipes.  I will definitely be making it again.  It was easy, cheap and flavorful.  Try it for dinner tonight, you probably have all of the fixings on hand!

 And yes, it was as good as it looks!


Grilled Maple Barbecue Chicken

3/4 cup maple syrup
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp canola oil
1/4 tsp onion powder or 1 tbsp minced onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
6 chicken breasts (I used 3 and it worked out just fine)

1. Combine all the ingredients except the chicken in a tight fitting container.  Shake the container to mix well.  Add chicken.  Refrigerate for at least one hour or up to overnight.
2. Microwave everything together for 5 minutes and remove chicken. 
3. Boil remaining marinade in a small saucepan for 3-5 minutes.  
4. TO GRILL: Grill chicken, turning and brushing with marinade.
    TO BAKE: Pour marinade on top and bake at 350, basting every 15-20 minutes, until done (around 30-40 minutes, depending on thickness of chicken).
    TO PAN FRY: Cook chicken in fry pan.  When it's nearly cooked through, add the marinade, which will carmelize.  Add 3 tbsp of water to the pan, and stir to deglaze.  Serve over the meat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks yum! We did barbecue chicken on the grill for Father's Day! I wish I'd had your recipe!

Anonymous said...

I never would have thought of using maple syrup in a marinade. It looks amazing!

McKenzie said...

Stopping by from SITS!

Chicken looks delicious! I never thought of using maple syrup in a marinade either.. I am definitely going to try it out!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails