I didn't grow up with snickerdoodles. I had my first snickerdoodle as an adult at a cookie exchange, and it was awesome, and I was mildly horrified that I'd lived my life for so long without snickerdoodles. I vowed that they would be something my kids would grow up with.
Toddler had his first snickerdoodle at Fresh Market not too long after he turned one. He devoured it. Just loved the darn thing. Since then, I've been trying to find the most awesome snickerdoodle recipe, one that's big and chewy, soft in the middle, with awesome cinnamon flavor. I've found it! This recipe is nice and small, though easy to double, and makes about 15-18 cookies, depending on the size of your scooper. These cookies come highly recommended from my whole family.
Mrs. Fields's Snickerdoodles
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with an electric mixer on high speed. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
2. In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
3. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well.
4. Preheat oven to 300 degrees while you let the dough rest for 30 to 60 minutes in the refrigerator.
5. In a small bowl, combine the sugar with the cinnamon for the topping.
6. Take about 2 1/2 tablespoons of the dough and roll it into a ball. Roll this dough in the cinnamon/sugar mixture and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Take a drinking glass, grease it with a little bit of Crisco and press down on cookie to flatten. Repeat for the remaining cookies.
7. Bake the cookies for 13 to 15 minutes and no more. The cookies may seem undercooked, but will continue to develop after they are removed from the oven. When the cookies have cooled they should be soft and chewy in the middle.
Makes 15 to 18 cookies.
Coconut Almond Muffins
13 hours ago