Monday, March 22, 2010

Super Yummy Vanilla Waffles

Okay, okay, I admit it.  I don't use pure maple syrup on my pancakes and waffles.  Oh, the sacrilege!  I know, I know, pure maple syrup is supposed to be like the nectar of gods...but I grew up on Karo Pancake syrup.  Green label Karo, which is becoming harder and harder to find where I live.  It doesn't even call itself maple syrup.  That's how far removed it is from maple syrup.  But darn it, it tastes like home.

Growing up, my mom and I had waffles for dinner when my dad worked nights sometimes, when she had a long day or when she just didn't feel like cooking anything complicated.  She always used Jiffy Biscuit Mix for the waffles and we doused them in Karo.  I still sometimes make my waffles with Jiffy, and every bite makes me feel like a kid again.  Most often, though, I try to make my waffles from scratch.  In part, because cooking from scratch is important to me and also because I love trying new recipes and experimenting.  This recipe is an amalgam of three or four different ones, and it came out super yummy.  Nice and light, with a nice vanilla flavor to them, which of course complimented the Karo syrup just right.  This recipe doubles nicely, and freezes beautifully - just lay your cooked waffles out on cooling racks until fully cooled, and then pack up into large freezer bags.  Pop them in the toaster to reheat, and voila, it's like fresh waffles all over again!



Yummy Vanilla Waffles 
Printer-friendly recipe

2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat your waffle iron.  Beat eggs in a large bowl until fluffy, then add the remaining ingredients and beat until just smooth.  Do not overmix!
2. Cook according to your waffle iron's instructions.  Beware, this batter does spread well when you close your waffle iron!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love breakfast for dinner. Okay, I like breakfast for any meal. Thanks for stopping by.

Mhel said...

Yum!! I love waffles and pancakes!! I can eat them at any time too...

Found you on SITS, happy eating!!

kyooty said...

Yummy!!! also cinnamon is heavenly in homemade waffles.

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Oh I think we are supposed to be best friends! Found you on SITS and you had me at Type A Mommy! I am so the same way. I try not to be but its so hard!HA! Love the waffles and definitely a must try. I am a huge foodie as well. All i do all day is cook which is why i started my cooking blog called Kitchen Belleicious. I would love for you to visit sometime and I am also doing a great giveaway this week. Have a wonderful day. Your newest follower!

Stephanie said...

Ummm You put me to shame. I fed my kids Eggos this morning. Hangs head in shame...

jo@blog-diggidy said...

i am so trying these...i have a waffle maker that i don't use often enough!! waffle dinner, here we come!! :) thnx!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails