Monday, January 4, 2010

Double Fudge Cookies


As I mentioned before, I grew up loving Great American Cookie Company's cookies. In the last six months or so, they've disappeared from my local malls, and I've been left missing their cookies desperately. Last week, I attempted a chocolate chip cookie knock-off, but I had actually thought it was a knock-off of their double fudge cookies, which were my personal favorite. That's what happens when you really want something and you read (and print) a million recipes, and try to put something together that's missing an integral ingredient (namely cocoa powder). When I started to make these cookies, I re-read the ingredients I had written out three or four times to make sure I had it right this time.

If I do say so myself, these are some awesome cookies. Fudgy, just gooey enough, with a little bit of crunch around the edges and tons of chocolate flavor. Very, very tasty. And look, aren't they pretty? Husband helped out with this lovely shot of these cookies, and I must say, it's probably one of the best food photos I've taken thus far in my completely amateur food photography experience. I'm learning!



Anyway, do yourself a favor. Make these cookies tonight. Just make sure you've got lots of milk on hand, because this is definitely a cookie that requires some milk to go along with it.

Double Fudge Cookies (like at Great American Cookie Company)

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 3/4 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
1/2 cups cocoa - dutched is better, but natural is OK too - I ran out of Dutched and used half of each
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (or bittersweet or milk - whatever floats your boat)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugars until fluffy and pale yellow in color.
2. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients together, and add slowly to batter. Mix well.
4. Add your chocolate chips and mix well.
5. Either scoop dough in heaping tablespoons or roll into large balls and place approximately 3 inches apart on a lightly greased (or Silpat'd) cookie sheet. Before you put them in the oven, flatten them with either your fingers or the bottom of a drinking glass, much like you would a sugar cookie. This ensures the big, mall cookie appearance.
4. Bake at 350 for 9 minutes. They will look underdone, I know, but they aren't. Let them cool on the cookie sheet for approximately 5-8 minutes, then move gently onto a wire rack to finish cooling.

20 comments:

Eleanor said...

And just when I'm supposed to be doing the 30 Day Shred.

Thanks a lot Type A Mommy - these just sound too delicious! ;)

Judy@grammyreads.com said...

Those look yummy! I love American Cookie Co, too, but fortunately I live in a small town so I could not form an addiction! Adding your recipe to the collection. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Those sound so good. Thanks for sharing. Love your blog...I'll be back.

WNY Kitchen and Bath said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! These cookies look fantastic. I am going to try to make them this weekend. I love ooeeyyy goooyeeyyy cookies. Oh and thanks for your bloggy advice I appreciate it! Tammy

Kathryn said...

Stopping by from SITS! What a cute blog you have! :)

Just wanted to let you know about my button swap and the chance for your blog to be featured! Check it out:
http://singing-in-the-rain24.blogspot.com/2009/12/button-swap.html

Unknown said...

Stopping by from SITS! These looks soo good!

Valerie said...

These were my favorite!!! Yummo!

Thanks!

OH - and hope the domain thing works out for you!! I bought mine through blogger which uses G-mail apps which uses go daddy. It was really easy. Feel free to e-mail me if you like and I can help. nexttoheaven@live.com

Nicole @ WhenDidIBecomeMyMom.com said...

Whhhyyyyyyy. It looks so yummy and so easy I need to go try to make it. How am I going to lose this holiday weight?? :-)

MrsM said...

I was just stopping by to let you know that I gave you an award and then I saw the cookies-Yuuuuuuuuuuuuum! The award isn't for those, but maybe they should be =)

Julia said...

Thanks for this great recipe. Yumm! My kids and I are going to love these!

heather@actingbalanced.com said...

stopping by from SITS... looks yummy!

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

They look so scrummy. Would you send some over? Please?!

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

Mmmmmmm! Chocolate! My favorite chocolate cookies are Chocolate Crinkles! Yum!

Rhiannon Bosse said...

This sounds so dangerous!! I just posted a really great cookie recipe too :) We should try each other's out hehe I switched my blog! I hope you'll come by to check it out! xx

Melissa B. said...

Ah, me. We just finished the last of the Christmas cookies, so I thought I was out of the "woods," so to speak. I guess I was wrong, huh? SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did!

<a href="http://scholastic-scribe.blogspot.com/2010/01/workin-at-car-wash-yeah.html>Workin' at the Car Wash, Yeah</a>

Unknown said...

Gonna Bookmark this recipe and try it this week! Have a great SITS day! :)

Marie said...

Great picture...My hubby would love those cookies. :)

Joann Mannix said...

The picture is great. It makes me want to devour them right now! Double fudge cookies, could there be anything better? I can't wait to try this one.

Lacy said...

here from sits! these cookie seem so scrumptious. ok, most of your recipes do. yum!

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

Those look SO amazing! I wish I had the ingredients on hand to make a batch right now. I guess I'll have to make a trip to the grocery store!

Happy SITS Day!

Cheers :-)
- CoconutPalmDesigns

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails