I just happened upon a really cool challenge, hosted over at J. Kaye's Book Blog. It's all about supporting your local library, and I'm all about that. I love books, and I love owning books - but the library is good for my wallet, with the way I read. Going to Borders and Barnes and Noble is like putting any other normal female in a DSW - I get into trouble. I tend to buy way too many books, so I'm trying really hard this year to only buy the books that I know I'm going to love and re-read. All the other stuff I'm not so sure about, I'm trying to get through the library. Not to mention that I seem to be raising another book addict - Baby is a total book-a-holic. He loves going to the library and going through all the board books. Obviously, this challenge is right up my alley.
The best part? The challenge is totally customizable. You can pick one of three challenges:
** The first is to read 12 books from your local library in 2009.
** The second is to read 25 books from your local library in 2009.
** The third is to read 50 books from your local library in 2009.
I'm challenging myself to read 50 books from my library this year. I think I can do it, especially because I love reading cookbooks from the library and they're easy to plow through in a night.
You can decide that's best for you, and you can join anytime, as long as you only count books that you read in 2009.
J. Kaye's Book Blog has a Mr. Linky you can sign, if you're interested in joining the challenge. I plan to update this post as I polish off books from the library.
Here's what I've read from my local library in 2009:
1. "The Middle Place" by Kate Corrigan
2. "The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook" by Ina Garten
3. "The Barefoot Contessa: Back to Basics" by Ina Garten
4. "Baking: From My Home to Yours" by Dorie Greenspan
5. "The Barefoot Contessa at Home" by Ina Garten
6. "The Cook's Country Cookbook" by the editors of Cook's Illustrated
7. "The New Best Recipe" by the editors of Cook's Illustrated
8. "The New Best Light Recipe" by the editors of Cook's Illustrated
9. "The Best Make-Ahead Recipes" by the editors of Cook's Illustrated
10. "The Best 30 Minute Recipe" by the editors of Cook's Illustrated
11. "The Best International Recipe" by the editors of Cook's Illustrated
12. "The Best Chicken Recipe" by the editors of Cook's Illustrated
13. "Restaurant Favorites at Home" by the editors of Cook's Illustrated
14. "The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook" by Christopher Kimball
15. "Plum Spooky" by Janet Evanovich
16. "The Cook's Bible" by Christopher Kimball
17. "The Dessert Bible" by Christopher Kimball
18. "The Kitchen Detective" by Christopher Kimball
19. coming soon...