Sunday, May 17, 2009

Beef Teriyaki

Mmm, good dinner tonight. I know, beef teriyaki wasn't on the menu for tonight, it was supposed to be earlier this week, but it's been a hairy week, dinner-wise, so things got made totally out of order. No big deal, though really. This beef teriyaki recipe is so good that my 15-month-old even enjoys it, and he's a little picky (wonder where that comes from). He wound up covered in rice by the end of dinner, but he enjoyed himself immensely.

This recipe is really quite simple, once you have the ingredients on hand. I generally keep a good amount of sirloin (my personal favorite choice of steak cut for this dish) on hand in the freezer - if I can get a good deal on it, I'll buy a ton and wrap it in Press `n Seal Freezer and bag it up. One of the key ingredients in this recipe is a bit exotic, and may not be something you have around the house: mirin. You should be able to find it in the Asian or International Foods aisle at your grocery store. It's kind of like a sweet version of sake. Some cookbooks I've read say you can substitute dry sherry for mirin, and personally, I think that it tastes totally different than mirin. Go get the mirin. Really. Oh - and you can use fresh grated ginger, if you're into that, I just use the jarred version because I'm lazy.

Type A Mommy's Beef Teriyaki

Printer-friendly recipe

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons mirin
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds steak, sliced thin in bite-size pieces (I use top sirloin mostly)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1. Slice up your steak. Try to make the pieces the same size, where possible.
2. Heat up your vegetable oil in a 12-inch skillet, over medium-high heat until smoking.
3. Put your soy sauce, sugar, mirin, cornstarch, ginger and garlic cloves together in a small bowl and stir. Set aside for now.
3. Cook steak in batches. Do NOT crowd the pan - it will result in rubbery steak. Cook each batch for about 2 minutes per side. Set aside cooked steak in a bowl, and start your next batch. I usually wind up doing about 4 batches, all in all.
4. Once you've cooked all your steak, turn the heat down to medium and stir up your teriyaki sauce, then add to skillet. Stir sauce around skillet, making sure to scrape up any browned bits left in your skillet.
5. Simmer sauce over medium heat until thickened, dark and syrupy. This should take as little as 5 minutes, or as many as 10. Once thickened, add meat and any accumulated juices back to pan and stir well. I usually let the meat simmer in the sauce for one minute or two while I finish preparing my rice to go with. Serve immediately.NOTE: Feel free to add any stir-fry friendly vegetables you would like to this dish. Onions and broccoli go especially well with this.

12 comments:

Erica said...

looks yummy can't go wrong with beef and rice in my book. :)

kyooty said...

I'm getting hungry reading recipes. mmmmmm BEEF! :)

Bear @ Cooking while Commuting said...

Oh this looks fabulous. Definitely need to sneak it into the meny plan next week.

Julie at ModernDayMiddleAge said...

This looks so fantastic ... I had the most godawful Chinese food at my in-laws house last night (chosen because they "deliver it before you even get off the phone with them") that I think I really deserve this! Maybe it'll wipe out the memory of that msg-laden thing I just barely chocked down ...

I'll come back tomorrow night and tell you how the teriyaki went over with the family. If my 7 year old eats it, you win a prize!

Oh, and Happy SITS Day!

Marie said...

Well I am sure it's good but being a vegetarian it doesn't really work for me. ;)

Joann Mannix said...

It looks delicious. I love teriyaki! Maybe I'll make this one tonight. Once again, a big congratulations on your SITS day. So nice to find a bloggy neighbor.

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

Mmmmm... that looks right up my alley. I'll have to try to get the mirin next time I go to Belize City. Thanks for a great dinner idea!

Happy SITS Day!

Cheers :-)
- CoconutPalmDesigns

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

We love dishes like this around here. I'm going to have to whip this one up soon.

Happy SITS. Sorry I'm late.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
http://www.mawhats4dinner.com

Kita said...

Tried this tonight with beef and tons of veggies and it was awesome! Thank you for posting it! I'll prolly be posting pics with a link back here in the next few days on my site.

Thanks
http://passthesushi.com

Kita said...

Posted with pics! Thanks again!

http://passthesushi.com/

Heather Binkley said...

This looks fabulous!!! Stopped by from SITS after seeing the Beef Teriyaki recipe on Kita's site (Pass the Sushi). Grabbed your button. Please come by my site, www.didyourememberyourpilltoday.com, and grab mine, too. Thanks.

Tammy said...

I made the beef teryiaki last night for dinner and everyone cleaned their plate! I had to sub mandarin sauce for the mirin but it worked. Whew! I think this would be fantastic on chicken too.

Thanks for the recipe!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails