I'm trying to make Husband's lunches more homemade, and sort of healthful, so I made some brownies today, both for me to have and for Husband to have in his lunch. I haven't had these brownies in a long time - they're so yummy. It's my mom's recipe, that she says dates back to her mom's Betty Crocker cookbook. They're so simple and yummy, just as simple, really - the ingredients are the kinds of things I generally have around the house, because I like to bake, and you really can't screw them up. Here's the recipe:
Type A Mommy's Favorite Brownies
1/3 cup butter
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1. Grease an 8x8 or 9x9 square pan, set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In small bowl, put chocolate squares and butter, and stick in the microwave. Nuke for at least 1 minute, then take out and stir. You will probably need to nuke again, for around 30 seconds to 1 minute before the chocolate and butter truly melt together. Stir until smooth, set aside.
3. Grab another bowl, and mix flour, salt, and baking powder with a fork.
4. Once slightly cooled (no longer hot), add sugar and eggs to chocolate/butter mixture and mix. Add chocolate mixture to flour mixture and blend well.
5. Pour batter into pan and smooth around to fill pan evenly. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.