Monday, November 2, 2009

Buttermilk Waffles


I like waffles, but I've always made from them a mix (eek, the horror!). Even my mother, a self-described from-scratch-nazi, has always made waffles from a mix, but from a certain mix. Jiffy mix. The blue box Jiffy biscuit mix that's becoming increasingly harder to find as I get older. The recipe is ridiculously easy - biscuit mix, milk, melted butter and eggs, and hard to screw up. I also love pancakes, and I love my buttermilk pancake recipe, so I thought this week that I would try some buttermilk waffles from scratch and see what I think.

Yes, they were definitely yummy, and the texture was delightful, but I guess when it comes to brinner, I am mildly lazy. My pancake recipe is quite easy, and while this recipe isn't rocket science, it does dirty more dishes and requires egg separating. I think if I make a super yummy breakfast for a special occasion, I'll dust this recipe off, but in the meantime, I'll stick with my Jiffy mix waffles.


Buttermilk Waffles
adapted from Cook's Illustrated

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornmeal (optional - I didn't use this)
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg , separated
7/8 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted

Directions:

Heat waffle iron. Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Whisk egg yolk with buttermilk and butter. Using a hand mixer, beat egg white on high speed just until stiff peaks hold (do not skip this step – beating your egg whites separately makes a huge difference in the end product)

Slowly add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients while gently mixing. Do not add liquid faster than you can incorporate it. Once all liquid has been added, gently fold egg whites into batter.

Spread batter onto waffle iron (enough to cover) and cook waffle until golden brown. This should take about 3-5 minutes depending on your waffle iron. As a general rule of thumb, your waffle is ready to come off the iron when it stops steaming. Serve immediately.

Yield: 3-4 waffles (note, this recipe can easily be doubled or tripled if you’re feeding a family or a crowd)


5 comments:

Jen said...

Hi Elizabeth! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. You can see a picture of my dog dressed up for Halloween here: http://nifermusings.blogspot.com/2009/10/our-little-swiffer.html

OMG... I'm so Type A as well, and I'm completely OCD about my kitchen. I'm going to have to start reading your blog!

~ Jen

jo@blog-diggidy said...

yummy!! i love homemade waffles!!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh goodness. I am detoxing this week and this is making it difficult!

theUngourmet said...

Oh I just love waffles! I switched a while ago to scratch. It saves money and tastes better and that just makes me happy!

Thanks for stopping over today!

PropellerHeadMom said...

We have either waffles or pancakes for breakfast every Sunday after church. Oh and bacon of course...can't forget the bacon :-) Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails