Thursday, November 19, 2009

Pan Seared Steak with Red Wine Sauce

Beef. It's what's for dinner. I was a big fan of those commercials, and not just because I liked the Aaron Copeland music it used. I am a big fan of beef for dinner. I try not to have it too frequently, because I know red meat is best in moderation, but it's absolutely one of the best things for dinner in my book. When I found this recipe, I had a hunch that it was right up my alley. I've recently learned that I'm a huge fan of red wine pan sauces (hello brown sugar pork with red wine sauce!), so I knew I had to try this.

This was a good recipe - I'm not a master yet at pan-searing steaks, but all in all, it turned out well. Baby was less than interested, but that's not abnormal. I made crispy roasted potatoes to go with, which he enjoyed dipping in his red wine sauce. I would probably make this again, but I would double the ingredients for the pan sauce, except for the shallot. I like to have lots of sauce with my meat, but that's just me. Enjoy!



Pan Seared Steak with Red Wine Sauce
adapted from Cook's Illustrated
Printer-friendly recipe

2 boneless 8-oz ribeye steaks or top loin steaks, 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick, thoroughly dried with paper towels
Table salt and ground black pepper
1 small shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 cup dry red wine, like Cabernet Sauvignon
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 1/3 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
1/2 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves

1. Heat heavy-bottomed 10-inch skillet over high heat until very hot, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, season both sides of steaks with salt and pepper.
2. Lay steaks in pan, leaving 1/4-inch of space between each; reduce heat to medium-high and cook without moving until well-browned, about 4 minutes. Using tongs, flip steaks; cook 4 minutes more for rare, 5 more for medium rare, and 6 more for medium. Transfer steaks to large plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
3. Off heat, add shallot and sugar to empty skillet; using pan's residual heat, cook, stirring frequently, until shallots are slightly softened and browned and sugar is melted, about 45 seconds. Return skillet to high heat, add wine, broth and bay leaf; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits on pan bottom with wooden spoon. Boil until liquid is reduced to 3 tbsp, about 4 minutes. Stir in vinegar and mustard; cook at medium heat to blend flavors, about 1 minute longer. Off heat, whisk in butter until melted and sauce is thickened and glossy. Add thyme and seasont o taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf, spoon sauce over steaks and serve immediately.

7 comments:

Susan Fobes said...

Oh, I shouldn't have read this now... I need a snack!
(This looks great- I'll have to try it.)

Carri said...

That looks delicious. I found you through C.O.A.H. and cant wait to read more I see you have some awesome recipes. I am not a chef by any means but love trying out new recipes. My kids are older though and are very picky sadly so I tend to make things I know they will eat. I would love to try this recipe soon though. Come check out my blog www.carribear0620.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

that looks like something I will have to make!

Mass Hole Mommy said...

Looks sooooo good! I hope I get to try this soon!

Michelle said...

That looks really yummy!

I dont even like beef but this I think I could do.

thatgirlblogs said...

thanks~ I'm sitting here eating saltwater taffy for dinner, LOL

Stephanie M. Page said...

mmmm yummy. you lured me in from SITS. thanks for the recipe.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails