Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Daddy's Cape Cod Oatmeal Cookies

I don't remember my dad doing much cooking in the kitchen when I was a kid. I remember he tried to make me a grilled cheese sandwich once and put mustard on it. (Ew!) He was, however, a pretty good baker. The only problem was the he wasn't always too interested in following the directions for a recipe. For instance, he often would cheat to soften butter, or not let chocolate cool for brownies, but for the most part, it didn't impact the flavor of the cookies and brownies he baked.

Dad mostly baked cookies. He had an arm pretty equivalent to a stand mixer, and he so far has been the only person in the family to make awesome oatmeal cookies. This is his recipe, I have no idea where it came from, but it was the only one he would make. Over the years, I've tried tweaking it, and it's just best the way it was back then.

These cookies are ridiculously easy to make, so definitely give this recipe a try. It's one of my favorites.

Daddy's Cape Cod Oatmeal Cookies
Printer-friendly recipe

1 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp molasses
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 cup oatmeal

1. Preheat oven to 350. Mix melted butter with sugar. Add molasses and combine.
2. Beat one egg in separate bowl and add to mixture.
3. Add milk, mix.
4. Mix dry ingredients, except oatmeal, in separate bowl. Add slowly to cookie dough.
5. Add oatmeal last, combine.
6. Spoon onto cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Make sure to place on parchment or grease cookie sheet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the molasses! Yep! I love Oatmeal cookies! Thanks for the recipe!

Eleanor said...

Sounds delicious!
I usually add cranberries to my oatmeals, but littlest one hates them...I will give this one a whirl!

http://fromabrookside.blogspot.com
http://shoppingthecloset.blogspot.com

tinahead81 said...

i'm so giving this a try! hubby loves oatmeal cookies, but i haven't found a good recipe yet!! thanks for sharing!!

stopping over from sits!!

Lana said...

What a super Blog! I'm so glad you came over today for my SIT's Day! I need some good recipes...I'm constantly like to try new ones.

Blessings to you!
Thanks for making my Day special!
Lana @ www.ilovemy5kids.blogspot.com

Stephanie said...

I like the addition of the molasses!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails