Thursday, November 5, 2009

Crispy Skinned Orange Chicken

Husband and I are big on Food Network these days, especially the food-related reality shows. We are currently into "The Next Iron Chef" but I much preferred "The Next Food Network Star." Their cooking skills weren't quite as intimidating, and they worked with ingredients that I have heard of. Anyway, Melissa D'Arabian was this seasons's "The Next Food Network Star" winner, and she cooked something toward the end of the season that sounded really easy and yummy - a crispy-skinned orange chicken. She said her children really liked it, so I thought it was worth a try for us.

This was definitely a tasty dish. It was also a big mess - but thankfully, I'm not the one who does dishes in the family. I think that's why I make such big kitchen messes. Anyway, I had a tough time getting all of my chicken done, because my pieces were all different sizes, really.

Baby seems to be on a meat strike, so I don't think he managed to eat a bite. But Husband and I both enjoyed this a lot. He gave it an 8 out of 10. I think I'd agree. I served this with some sweet potato fries and corn, and it sure was a pretty meal. The chicken was super moist, I just wish that the flavor had seeped more into the chicken itself, not just the skin. I will definitely make this again, though. It's officially in the rotation now.


Crispy-Skinned Orange Chicken
from Melissa D'Arabian (Food Network)

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 skin-on bone-in chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
4 tablespoons honey

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Liberally salt and pepper the chicken breast halves. Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat and sear the chicken, skin side only, until brown and beginning to crisp, about 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the orange glaze: In a small saucepan, heat the orange juice concentrate, honey, and salt and pepper, to taste, over medium heat, and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
4. Turn the chicken over and brush each piece with the glaze. Turn the chicken skin side up and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until the internal temperature reaches 160 to 170 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, brushing on more glaze halfway through, about 15 minutes in total. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes on a cutting board. Remove the chicken breast from the bone and slice the meat on the bias. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and serve.

Printable Recipe


Orange-Glazed Chicken on Foodista

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Stopping by to say hi from SITS. Question: Did Melissa's show ever do well? I ask because I am a big Food Network Fan but only watch a few of the evening shows. I never see her advertised. I was glad she won but was wondering whatever happened. Take care and have a great day!

Alisa said...

This is delicious!I saw your recipe a few hours ago and quickly tried it.It's easy and my son loves it!I'll definitely make this again, and maybe try brining the chicken parts ahead of time for more flavor.I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set, Thanks! - Alisa@Foodista

Dumb Mom said...

Please don't remind me! I had two parties at my house this week and another one next weekend so I can't even begin to think about Thanksgiving. Luckily we always go to my mom's house for that one, but still she wants me to bring something. Not sure what that's gonna be? Any ideas? And remember, I'm slow!

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

I have tried to make orange chicken so many times. It never turns out right. I'll just stick to Italian food and leave that stuff to the pros!

Christine said...

Hello! I found this blog in Foodista and followed it here. This is a lovely blog and awesome Crispy-Skinned Orange Chicken recipe. Reminds me of mom's recipe and it was superb, I bet yours is excellent too! By the way you can place more Foodista widget in your past and future blogs so that other Foodista readers can follow and see your blog too. Just search for a related recipe or food in Foodista and use its widget. I hope to read more from you. Cheers!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails