Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Lovely Bones



I've picked up "The Lovely Bones" several times since I first purchased it, when it first came out, and put it back down for various reasons. Many times, other books have just called to me louder than this one did, but this time, I was able to pick it up and polish it off pretty quickly.

This was an interesting book. I didn't find it to be as transcendent as some people have, but I did enjoy it. I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone, but I was disappointed by some of the plot points that were left hanging at the end. That doesn't mean I didn't like the book, just that it was real, in a way - I mean, in real life, not all the loose ends get tied up into a pretty bow. This was no different.

I am very curious how this will translate into movie format, as I understand they have turned this into a movie, to come out in December. I just watched the trailer for the first time on Apple.com, and it looks pretty darn promising. Read the book first, though, really.

I must say, though, that if you enjoyed this book, you would enjoy Alice Sebold's nonfiction work "Lucky" even more. I read that quite some time ago, and couldn't put it down. It's an amazing memoir about a traumatic experience the author went through in college and how it shaped many years that followed.




I've been reading some dark fiction lately, with lots of horrible things happening to children, between this and "The Deep End of the Ocean" and "Nineteen Minutes." Clearly, I ought to read something a little more light and cheery next.

3 comments:

Eleanor said...

I tried to read it a long time ago and couldn't get going. Then this summer, I picked it up one afternoon and read it straight through.
I wouldn't call it transcendent...but it gave me chills,brought some tears, and made me want to recomend it to others!

Amanda {My Life Badly Written} said...

I loved this book, I thought it was really different and I can't wait to see it in movie form! I also loved her book "The Almost Moon" which was really thought provoking as well. Will look out for the book "lucky" sounds interesting!!
I agree I think you need something a bit fluffier!!

Unknown said...

Two of my favorites. Alice can really bring on the emotions! I hope the movie does it juice!st

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails