Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacqueline Mitchard


I had a hard time with this book. Perhaps because it's every mother's worst fear for her child to be kidnapped. Or perhaps because it just wasn't as good as I'd heard it would be. I think if I had read this before I had Baby, I probably could have enjoyed it more as a realistic piece of fiction, as opposed to my worst nightmare.

The only reason I was able to finish this book quickly was the swine flu quarantine we've been under lately. It's like there was nothing to do other than read when Baby was sleeping because it wasn't like I needed to pack the diaper bag to go some place, and I was too frustrated to clean (not to mention, I knew I was going to have to clean all over again when the swine flu was all over), so I read. And read. And read. And here we are.

I was hooked by the premise of this book - what happened to a family who endured the kidnapping of their middle child, but I had a hard time enjoying reading about what actually happened to them. Normally, I enjoy depressing fiction - some of the best books are depressing! But this one just didn't sit well with me. I kind of rushed through it to get it over with because I just wanted to be done with it. I don't think I would recommend this book to a friend.

My next read (which I'm already almost done with) is Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. It's a re-read for my December book club meeting, so it's going by pretty quickly. Stay tuned to hear what I thought about it. And don't forget, since I have been entirely inept lately at picking out books for myself, drop me a line if you've got a great book recommendation! And don't forget to enter The Anti-Socialite's book recommendation contest while you're at it!

1 comments:

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

Thanks for the review! I just read "a year of pleasures" and it was SO good. I absolutely loved it.

I popped by to thank you for visiting on my SITS day and taking the time to comment :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails