Thursday, August 27, 2009

Spinning kind of sucks...at least according to a first-timer

Today, I went to a beginning spin class. I was mildly relieved to learn that we would be spending some time to tweak the bikes appropriately, and that the entire class was only 30 minutes long. I've been on a spin bike for a few moments at a time previously, and every time, it was ridiculously uncomfortable. Today was no exception. Our instructor told us that it's perfectly normal to absolutely hate the "saddle," but that Target and Wal-Mart sell some kind of gel contraption you can put over the saddle to make it more comfortable. (I checked it out at Target, and it was $18. I'm not sure I need it that badly.) She also said that it should be something that either gets less uncomfortable with time or that our butts just get used to it. I'll believe it when I feel it.

After we all figured out how high our saddles should be and how far forward (or backward) the saddle should be, we hopped on the bikes to go through a quickie 10 or 15 minute class, learning some of the terminology of spin class and practicing some of the moves and hand holds. At first, it seemed easy. Then we did standing. And "jumping." Not so fun. At first, getting up off the saddle feels good, but then when you sit back down, it's like your body revolts against the concept of sitting back down.

I guess now I have the know-how to take an actual spin class. Here at our Y, they're done in the dark, so you can focus on just you and what you're doing, rather than trying to compete with your neighbor, which is something that's appealing to me. That and the idea that no one will see how pathetic I am at spinning. I mean, I loved bicycling when I was a kid. I enjoyed riding my bike all over the place, but I haven't owned a bike since I was about 15 or 16, so I'm more than a little rusty. That and spinning isn't a whole lot like bicycling - it's really a totally different kind of experience. I'm mildly afraid to take an actual class, because just the 10 or 15 minutes of spinning we did this morning seems to have done quite a number on me. I know it is a really good work out, though, so I'm sure I will drag my lazy butt to a spin class at some point...just not tomorrow. It's going to take some serious nerve and some coffee to get me in there.

Tell me, my faithful friends, have you ever done a spinning class? If so, was it so bad you thought you might die? Did the seat get more comfortable over time?

2 comments:

jaquelyn {mama thoughts} said...

I've never done one...looks interesting? I'm not big on working out with other people. =)

Stopping in from SITS to say hello and Happy Friday! =)

Sassy Chica said...

I like the idea of taking a spin class in the dark.

My cousin teaches spin class and says it is not for the weak at heart. That being said, I have not yet taken her class!!

Smooches,
Sassy Chica

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails