Saturday, August 29, 2009

What's on Your Nighstand: August


I'm only marginally late this month, at least it's still August!

It's been a busy reading month. I've enjoyed a lot of books this month, but my To Be Read pile seems to keep growing, as usual.

Polished off this month:
1. This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper
2. Escape by Carolyn Jessop
3. Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist's Wife by Irene Spencer
4. Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons: A Novel by Lorna Landvik (a re-read of an old favorite)
5. Lost Boy by Brent Jeffs

Still to be read:
1. Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer - Just started this last night. I used to read a lot of true crime, so hopefully it won't be too disturbing for me (the girl who hates scary movies).
2. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd - It's quite possible I'm the last person on the planet who hasn't read this. A friend loaned it to me and insisted I read it.
3. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger - I'm around page 50 and kind of stuck but people keep telling me it gets better. I hope so.
4. Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall - I know, another book about the FLDS. For whatever reason, I'm fascinated by those people and can't get enough of them.
5. Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult - This will be a re-read, as I read it when it first came out. Our book club selected it, and it's been a while, so I need to refresh my memory.

Don't forget - you must tell me what you're reading! I just love book recommendations.

6 comments:

Fonda said...

If it helps any, you are not the LAST person to read 'The Secret Life of Bees' because I have just moved it to my car in hopes that I might read it while waiting for my son to get out of football practice.

And 'Time Travelers Wife' does get MUCH better as you go. It is just hard to keep up with who is where and when at first. But you will get the hang of it soon.

Great list!

Sassy Chica said...

Currently reading Julie & Julia, as well as a few online media books.

I am lookign for a steamy romance...

Smooches,
Sassy Chica

Traci Michele said...

HI, so nice to meet you!

I found you via the SITS site. You have a beautiful blog!

God Bless,
Traci

Come on by and join in on the recipe blog hop fun!

Colleen said...

I just saw the Time Travelers Wife movie. It was confusing at first, and then really sad in a good way. Hope the book is the same!

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

This month I've read:
"Angel Dogs--divine messengers" by Allen & Linda Anderson
"My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult
"The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch
"Still Growing" by Kirk Cameron
I liked all these! For reviews of books both my husband and I have read, visit my blog at: http://karen.pnn.com/6632-what-we-ve-just-read

Also wrote one myself in memory of my dad: "My Funny Dad, Harry." Thanks for stopping by this blog and commenting!

Anonymous said...

Wow -that's an impressive list you polished off! I'm currently reading an excellent parenting book -Be the Parent Your Child Deserves by Rae Turnbull. It's an older book, but it's timeless!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails