Saturday, August 8, 2009

What's on Your Nighstand: July

Yes, I realize that we are now one week into August, and it's no longer July, and that I'm ridiculously behind on posting this, so please accept my apologies. It's been a crazy busy July, and I'm sure August will be no different, I just need to get better with my time management. Seriously, what mom has it all together? If you know any, let me know, I'd love to pick their brains!

Anyway, so I've been reading a lot lately, although I still have quite a stack of books to read. July was a good reading month, I definitely read some good books...

Here's what left my nightstand:
1. The Help by Kathryn Stockett - This book will definitely be making an encore. Repeatedly. Quite possibly the best book I've read in a long time.
2. Identical Strangers by Elyse Schein and Paula Bernstein - This was a book club selection for the month of August.
3. Julie and Julia by Julie Powell - Loved this book, and I'm looking forward to seeing the movie at some point. It might just inspire me to cook my way through an entire cookbook. Which one? I don't know. Maybe a dessert cookbook? I'm open to suggestion!
4. I'm drawing a blank - I know I read more than three books this month, especially since I tore through "The Help" in just a few days, but I'm positively drawing a blank. I'll have to come back to that...

And here's what's in the To Be Read pile:

1. All We Ever Wanted Was Everything: A Novel by Janelle Brown - I'm reading this now and it's gripping.
2. Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons (Ballantine Reader's Circle) by Lorna Landvik - One of my favorites that I'm re-reading at the moment. Just a fun book to get wrapped up in, and this is my first time reading it after becoming a mother, so I'm appreciating it in a new way, especially now that I seem to have developed my very own group of Angry Housewives.
3. Little Bee: A Novel by Chris Cleave - This book had me at the dust cover, which doesn't give away a single thread of the story. It just gives you a tiny bit of bait and tries to reel you in. My dearest friend is reading it right now and says it's quite good (though not as good as "The Help").
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Vintage) by Steig Larsson - I like thrillers, and have heard good things about this one.
5. Baker Towers: A Novel by Jennifer Haigh - Just picked this up at Borders this week with a friend of mine in the dollar bin. I've heard good things about her books, and thought I'd give her a try.
6. How I Became a Famous Novelist by Steve Hely - His first book, written with a friend of his about a ridiculous travel challenge that played out like a real-life version of "The Amazing Race," (and so appropriately named The Ridiculous Race) was so darn hilarious, I'm excited to see what he's brewed up for his first work of fiction.
7. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier - This has sat on my to be read shelf for a very long time, but I recently saw that the Classics Bookclub on 5 Minutes for Books read it, so that's inspired me to give it a try.

So what are you reading? I just love book recommendations! And don't forget to go read "The Help" - you'll thank me for it!! Well, me and the 636 people on Amazon who gave it five stars, that is...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great list!

I reviewed The Help on 5M4B, and I agree it's one of the best books I've read all year.

I have read 2 of Jennifer Haigh's books (though not that one -- I think that's one of her earlier ones), and enjoyed both thoroughly.

I also liked Julie and Julia and am now reading Julia Child's My Life in France, which they also used as a basis of the movie (which I hope to see this week).

Mimi said...

I just finished Farewell to Manzanar, a story about living in the Japanese internment camps during WWII, it was great.

Right now I'm reading the third Twilight book, because I'm out of books!

Lizzie said...

great list! i am actually at a book stand still. sometimes i just don't know what to read! i just finished "The kite runner" so i'll be looking for something not quite so heavy as my next read. maybe that angry housewife book you've recommended :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails