Friday, August 21, 2009

Super Easy Donuts and Donut Holes

So the other thing I made for playgroup today was donuts. I love donuts. I am perhaps a donut connoisseur, in fact, I love them so much. My favorite kind of donut is the chocolate cake kind that's also glazed, those are awesome. I haven't found a recipe for those yet, but if I ever do, you guys will be the first to know.

These donuts are ridiculously easy to do because instead of making the dough from scratch, you use canned biscuit dough. How much easier can it get???? This is a recipe I originally saw from Paula Deen - I think it was on her Paula's Party show. I love that show. Paula Deen seems like a totally fun person to be around. She just seems to have so much fun with everything, food especially. When Husband and I were on our honeymoon in Savannah, I hadn't yet gotten into Paula Deen, so we didn't eat at the Lady & Sons, but boy, I wish we had.

Super Easy Donuts and Donut Holes
adapted from Paula Deen
Printer-friendly recipe

2 cans refridgerated biscuit dough (but not the flaky layers kind)
Peanut oil, for frying
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar

Icings
2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
5 tablespoons milk, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup cocoa powder
Colored sprinkles
Chocolate sprinkles

Heat 2 inches peanut oil in a large pot or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F.

In a shallow bowl, stir together the ground cinnamon and sugar and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons of milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, set aside. This is the vanilla icing. In another bowl, whisk together 1 cup of confectioners' sugar, 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and 3 tablespoons of milk and set aside. This is the chocolate icing.

Lay out the biscuits on a cutting board and with a 1 1/2-inch round cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out a hole from the middle of each biscuit. Fry them in the oil until golden (this doesn't take very long at all) and then flip with tongs to fry the other side. You can even fry the donut holes. (I did!) Drain on paper towels and then toss in the cinnamon-sugar or ice and decorate with sprinkles, as desired.

2 comments:

Bentley Boutique said...

Yum, those look delicious. Will have to try it, if I ever get off this diet:) Stopping in from SITS

Lizzie said...

AAHHHH my staring, dieting self is screaming here!!! NO DONUTS! NO!!!


yummy, maybe just one won't hurt :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails