Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Brown Sugar Barbecued Chicken

This was insanely easy dinner to put together, which came together really quickly and tastily. The barbecue sauce was very good, and I will definitely be making it again, although next time I will try chicken breasts instead of drumsticks because it took me forever to get all the chicken off the bone - which I did because that's how Baby eats it, and if he sees something different on our plates, we're usually in store for some kind of meltdown. It's the path of least resistance, if you will.

A few words of advice on this recipe - Martha isn't kidding about using aluminum foil. It makes clean up a breeze for this dish. Also, this recipe also calls for using drumettes - I used actually drums (more meat!), and altered the cooking time by adding 5-10 minutes. Finally, I used a rack on top of my baking sheet, thinking it wold help the skin crisp a little - it didn't. I think it may have helped the chicken cook through a little faster, but next time I will skip it.



Brown Sugar Barbecued Chicken
adapted from Everyday Food

2 cups ketchup
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp cider vinegar
Coarse salt and pepper
6 pounds chicken drumettes, patted dry

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together ketchup, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, and cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside 1 cup of sauce for tossing raw chicken; use the rest for baked chicken.
2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with racks in the upper and lower thirds. Line two rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil.
3. Toss chicken drumettes with reserved 1 cup of sauce and divide among baking sheets.
4. Bake chicken until opaque throughout, 30-35 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Toss baked chicken with 1/2 cup of reserved sauce and serve the remaining alongside chicken.

4 comments:

Melissa B. said...

Oh, yummy! Thanks so much for sharing...SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did...

Climbing The Hill Again: Red & Black Attack!

Unknown said...

Holy Cow, I not only want to make this but I want to eat it for breakfast right now. Ive used brown sugar in recipes like this before and they are always good (yes and messy) but I think this one was easier.... and I'm so cutting and pasting it.

Thanks bunches

Anonymous said...

This sounds yummy and EASY. EASY works for me! Stopping by from SITS. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Have a great day...
pk @ Room Remix

Stephanie said...

You had me at brown sugar....

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails