Friday, October 30, 2009

Mandarin Chicken

I was pleasantly surprised at how yummy this dish wound up being. I'm not sure what I expected, but what this recipe delivered was basically a very similar taste to the Mandarin Chicken at Panda Express. Except way tastier. Way more fresh tasting, and way more fulfilling because I made it myself. Unfortunately, Baby was not too into this meal. Husband and I loved it and snarfed down every last morsel, but Baby was not interested. I'm not sure why that was, but I'm going to chalk it up to him still recovering a little from the swine flu, so hopefully we'll be able to try this dish again and have him really like it next time around.

One thing I did differently is that I didn't actually use a grill for grilling the chicken - I used my Calphalon grill pan that someone bought me when I got married (can't remember who anymore!), that I'd honestly never used in the three and a half years since I got married. It was totally worth it for this. It made beautiful grill marks and worked like a charm. I will definitely be using it again, now that I mostly know how!

So add this one to your menu next week, you'll thank me for it. It's way easy, and way tasty!


Mandarin Chicken

2-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
½ tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon of garlic powder

Mandarin Sauce-
2/3 cup sugar
¼ cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon fresh garlic (minced)
1 teaspoon fresh ginger (minced)
¼ cup water
4 teaspoons cornstarch

1. Pound chicken breasts with a mallet to an even thickness and season both sides with sugar, salt, and garlic powder. Grill chicken 4-6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink inside.
2. Remove from grill and cut into bit sized strips. Set aside.
3. In a bowl combine sugar, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic and ginger. Pour into a wok or sauce pan. Heat the mixture until almost at a boil. Combine cornstarch and water. Once the sauce starts to boil add the cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened.
4. Add grilled chicken to the wok and coat with the sauce. Simmer until heated thoroughly. I served it over cooked rice.

8 comments:

MsTypo said...

Hi, stopping by from SITS! :)

I love my calaphon grill pan. We don't have a bbq so that's as close to real grilling as i get. Lovely for steaks. :)

Nicole @ WhenDidIBecomeMyMom.com said...

My mom keeps telling me she wants to get me a Calphalon grill. I guess I won't fully appreciate until I use one. The recipe looks easy and delicious.

Thanks for sharing! Stopping by from SITS!

Unknown said...

Looks and sounds yumy.
Just stopped by from SITS to say hi; hope you'll do the same.

Greta said...

This looks great! I don't have the Calphalon grill pan, but I do have a George Foreman that hasn't been used in quite a while. Maybe that would work. I'm bookmarking this, thanks!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

This looks so good... and your chicken fingers as well! I haven't found panko around here, I might have to look harder! :)

Hope your little one is feeling better!

♥ Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest ♥

Lori said...

That sounds yummy!

Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

Love reading about these recipes. Keep 'em coming.

Anonymous said...

Hiya I'm stopping by from the SITS roll call......I ROFL over your comment!!! "Dude, I forgot it was Daylight Savings time"....LOL.
You are funny:)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails