Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain



I didn't think I was going to like this book very much - I'm not sure why. It was one of those Target Bookmarked books, and Target always sucks me in with that little Bookmarked sticker, as though there's some special person who selects them who has the same taste in books as I do or something. Admittedly, I've liked most of the Bookmarked books I've picked up. This one just didn't pull me in with its' back cover. Sure, it sounded interesting, but it sat on my shelf and collected dust for a good while before I picked it up this week.

This book was over 500 pages, and I tore through it in three days. This wasn't because it was the most wonderful book I've ever read, but the plot was definitely compelling. The writing wasn't the most poetic or beautiful ever, but it was enjoyable.

Here's the basic plot, but I don't want to give too much away, because the mystery of how the story unfolds was what I enjoyed most about this book. In 1977, pregnant Genevive Russell disappeared. Twenty years later, her remains are discovered, and Timothy Gleason is charged with murder. But there is no sign of her unborn child. Timothy Gleason is facing the death penalty, and one woman has a choice to make. She knows how Genevieve Russell died, because she was there. If she tells the truth, she'll destroy her family and future. Or she can let let an innocent man die in order to protect a lifetime a lies. Definitely a fascinating story - a good read, indeed.

What's next on my bookshelf? I think it's Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock. I read her But Inside I'm Screaming last year and enjoyed it immensely.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Your blog is beautiful! I love the design and I'm digging the title and description too! :)

I'm an avid reader and I love it when a book is easy to read and you find yourself done virtually two seconds later. I'm intrigued by your review and I'll definitely check this one out as soon as I finish reading the other books I have in my "in box" to read for review. Though at the rate I'm going that probably won't be until 2030. :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog this morning.

Happy Blogging-
Angela from Angela's Soliloquy

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

It does sound compelling. I may just have to check it out now! Thanks for the snippet!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails