Friday, October 2, 2009

Cheddar Garlic Biscuits


I love Red Lobster's Cheddar Garlic Biscuits. Those things are awesome. Surely, they are horrible for you, but every time we go to Red Lobster (which is kind of rare, since Husband isn't huge on seafood), we chow down on these biscuits. I've tried many copycat recipes over the years, and when I saw a copycat recipe in the Food Network Magazine recently, I knew I had to try it.

I wasn't as impressed by these biscuits as I wanted to be. I wanted to be blown away, and I wasn't. The texture was definitely spot-on, but it needed more garlic flavor to be authentic. I think next time, I would possibly add some garlic powder to the biscuit batter, and possibly a second garlic clove to the garlic butter for garlic butter.

And on a side note, this is my 300th post! Yippee!! And I almost have 100 followers! Time for the happy dance!

Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
adapted from the Food Network Magazine, October 2009 issue

For the biscuits:
Cooking spray
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegetable shortening at room temp
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
6 oz grated yellow cheddar cheese (about 1 1/4 cups)
3/4 cup whole milk

For the garlic butter:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley

1. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 425. Lightly mist a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Make the biscuits; Pulse the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a food processor. Add the shortening and pulse until combined. Add the butter; pulse 4 or 5 times, or until the butter is in pea-sized pieces. Add the cheese and pulse 2 or 3 times. Pour in the milk and pulse just until the mixture is moistened and forms a shaggy dough. Turn out onto a clean surface and gently knead until the dough comes together. Do not overwork the dough or the biscuits will be tough.
3. Drop the dough onto the baking sheet in scant 1/4 cup portions, 2 inches apart and bake until golden, 15-20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make the garlic butter. Melt the butter with the garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Brush the biscuits with the garlic butter and serve warm.

5 comments:

love lives in the kitchen said...

hi from sits! nice to meet you. you have a new follwer :)
lovely recipe! i like your blog very much!
justyna

Rocky Mountain Memoirs said...

I love those, too! I actually found out from the guy at the grocery store bakery that Schwann's is the supplier to Red Lobster restaurants and you can buy the biscuits from them to have at home. BUT, I'm guessing your adapted recipe is probably a bit healthier in that there are no preservatives, etc.

I have an award for you on my blog...I think your blog is great!

Stephanie said...

mmmmmm biscuits!
Do you think I could have just biscuits as a meal?

Angela said...

If I didn't have a to do list 10 miles long, I would seriously make these right now! They look great. I have a recipe similar to this, but your sounds like it might be a tad bit (maybe even a lot) tastier! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to make them!

I am proud to report I just became your 100th follower! Congrats on reaching such a great blogging milestone!

Happy blogging and have a great weekend!

Angela from Angela's Soliloquy

WE SITS HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER!

Angie said...

Mmmm love these, and have made them lots of times! I wish I had some right now!!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I totally heart comments, they make me smile. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails